The UK COVID-19 IPC Cell is seeking views to update its COVID-19 specific guidance: IPC guidance for respiratory infections including COVID.
This guidance has been updated to prevent transmission of seasonal respiratory viral infections, including COVID-19, in health and care settings while continuing to support the recovery of services.
Please email responses to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 October 2021 using this form: IPC-Feedback-Form
Key updates to the revised guidance are:
- Removal of the three distinct COVID-19 care pathways (high, medium and low) to one respiratory pathway applying transmission-based precautions.
- An algorithm to support patient placement (appendix 2) decisions within the respiratory pathway.
- Inclusion of a section on the criteria to be applied within the ‘hierarchy of controls’ to further support organisations/services with maximum workplace risk mitigation.
- Universal use of face masks (face coverings) to remain as an IPC measure within healthcare clinical settings across the winter period.
- Physical distancing should be at least 1 metre in clinical areas, increasing whenever feasible to 2m for the respiratory pathways and admission units.
- Triaging and testing to continue over the winter period to include SARs-CoV-2 and other respiratory pathogens depending on the setting/ data e.g. RSV.
- Review of the AGP list to identify procedures that can be removed from the list.
- the respective UK countries have compendiums of guidance which may differ across the nations, these are linked in the introduction section.
- this document has not been formatted; this will be undertaken prior to publication.
- dental and ambulance colleagues are invited to share feedback, however, separate guidance for dental and ambulance services will be developed.