Vacation Scholarships are designed to give undergraduates experience in research. Each research project should be designed so that it could be completed in the time available (up to 10 weeks) and of relevance to the field of antimicrobial chemotherapy.
BSAC invites applications for Vacation Scholarships on worldwide basis.
Successful candidates will be paid a grant of £270 per week for up to 10 weeks and the Department will be paid a consumables grant of £500.
Payment will be made direct to the Secretary/Finance Officer of the Institution who will administer the grant.
A maximum of 3 vacation grants will be awarded each year.
Applications are considered by the BSAC Grants Committee in May each year.
Candidates should be in the middle years of a full-time first degree course in the sciences, medicine, veterinary medicine or dentistry. Only undergraduates are considered for these scholarships.
Projects designed to be presented as undergraduate or postgraduate laboratory practical assignments will not be considered.
Vacation scholars must submit a report to BSAC within two weeks of the end of their award period, normally by mid-October of the same year the grant is awarded. Reports should be no more than 3 pages in length and contain a brief commentary by the supervisor as to whether the objectives of the research have been achieved, plus a brief outline of the performance of the Vacation Scholar (commitment, conscientiousness).
The Head of Department agrees to house the research and to supply adequate facilities for the research to be carried out. Only one application can be submitted per department. BSAC should be informed immediately if the department is unable to supply adequate facilities for the research to be conducted.
If a student withdraws for any reason substitute students will not be allowed as the quality of the student is one aspect of the decision process.
How to apply:
Applicants must complete the application form on this page. The application form must not be altered in any way.
Applications must submit information in the following order:
- A completed application form
- Additional information as detailed in the application form (in order as follows):
- Work leading up to the project
- The objectives
- Method(s) of investigation
- The specific training this studentship will provide
- A signed copy of the BSAC Terms and Conditions form (before making an application applicants are advised to read all Terms and Conditions and Standard Operating Procedures found at: BSAC T&Cs/SOPS)
- Documents must be submitted via the BSAC grants online submission system:
- The BSAC grants online submission system will produce a single pdf document of all information uploaded – applicants must check this pdf document to ensure all information is clear and in the order requested.
- Applications not submitted with pages set out in the order outlined above will be returned to the applicant for revision
- Applications submitted by email will not be accepted
Please note: Candidates are required to identify a UK sponsor/host institute. BSAC cannot, and does not, advise on UK sponsors or institutes as hosts for these scholarships.
Next Application deadline: 28 February 2018 at 23:59 GMT/UK time (applications are invited from July 2017 onward).
Applications are considered by the BSAC Grants Committee in May each year. Scholarships are taken up the same year in which they are awarded.
Award dates: By 31 May 2018.
Reports should be submitted to The BSAC Grants by email to: email@example.com and using the Report Form at the top of this page.
If you have completed any report relating to this grant to your Institute, this can also be included along with the completed report form.
Reports should include the following information based on your project:
- A summary of the aims and objectives of the project
- broad findings or conclusions (maximum 2x A4 pages)
- Any publications arising from the project
- a list of any publications arising from the research carried out
- include details of any articles which have been accepted, or are planned for publication within the next 24 months as a result of this award (please provide any definite or see this site has nursing shoe recommendations provisional publication dates)
- Any other outputs arising from the project
- give details of any other way in which the results of the research has been or will be disseminated i.e. oral and / or poster presentations at conferences
All correspondence, including submission of final reports, should be sent to The BSAC via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org