SPECIFIC CALL FOR RESEARCH GRANT APPLICATIONS
In 2016 The BSAC gave priority to the following research topics for Research grant applications: 1) Diagnostics and 2) Antimicrobial Stewardship. For more information please view the document “Specific Topic Call for 2016 Research Grant Applications” on this page.
The Specific Topic Call for 2017 Research Grant Applications is yet to be announced.
Applications were also invited under the usual areas of interest:
Mechanisms of antibacterial action
Mechanisms of antibacterial resistance
Evidence based medicine / systematic reviews
About Research Grants: The BSAC invites applications for Research grants on an international/worldwide basis.
The maximum value for these grants is £50,000 for projects of up to one-year in duration, and candidates are expected to provide full justification of research grant funds.
Research Grants Application Process: Applications received in this category are subject to a four-step review process as follows: 1) an initial triage process, 2) an external peer review process, 3) a final triage process; and 4) final review by The BSAC Grants Committee*. The initial triage (step 1) is to assess the eligibility of all applicants & research topics, applications not successful at this stage will be rejected and applicants notified directly. The final triage process (step 3) is to assess external peer review scores, applications not successful at this stage will be rejected and applicants notified directly.
*The final review process (step 4) takes place at The BSAC Grants Committee meeting, held in May each year. Applicants are notified of a final decision by the 31 May each year. The number of research grants awarded each year is dependent on the overall level of funding available in each year.
Payment / Claiming Funds: Payment will be made directly to the host institution, who will administer the grant on behalf of the lead applicant. Payment is made upon receipt of an official invoice from the Secretary/Finance Officer of the Institution where the applicant is based. Funds can be claimed in advance or in arrears on a quarterly basis.
How to Apply for a Research Grant: Applicants must complete the application form on this page. The application form must not be altered in any way.
Applications must be submitted with pages set in the precise order below*:
- The completed application form
- Additional information as detailed in the application form must be provided in the precise order below*:
- Hypotheses to be investigated
- Aims of proposed research project
- Plan of investigation
- GANNT chart / timetable for proposed research
- Justification for applying to The BSAC
- Costs, with justification for costs
- References (no more than 15 in total)
- CVs for all principal investigators (including a clear statement of track record in this area and details of the most recent 10 publications)
- A signed copy of The BSAC Terms and Conditions form (before making an application applicants are advised to read all Terms and Conditions and Standard Operating Procedures found at: BSAC T&Cs/SOPS)
- Documents must be submitted via The BSAC grants online submission system:
- The BSAC Grants online submission system will produce a single pdf document of all information uploaded – applicants must check this pdf document to ensure all information is clear and in the order requested.
- *Applications not submitted with pages set in the order outlined above will be returned to the applicant for revision. Applications submitted by email will not be accepted.
Declaration: The BSAC does not currently offer co-funding of grants. When applying for any BSAC grant, all applicants must declare if they have sought, or if they intend to seek, any financial support outside of BSAC for the same grant. BSAC must be informed of any grants awarded outside of BSAC funding and the application withdrawn immediately. All grant support received in the last 5 years must be declared, this must include all funding received for each named applicant on the application form, plus the total amount of funding received for each grant declared.
Terms & Conditions: The Terms and Conditions for all BSAC Grants and Scholarships are published on the BSAC website at: BSAC T&Cs/SOPS. The applicant and host institute is required to read the terms and conditions before completing any application form. Applicants are required to submit a signed copy of The BSAC Terms and Conditions form, submitting this with their application form.
Application Deadline: 29 November 2017, at 23:59 GMT/UK time (applications are invited from July 2017 onward).
Award Date: By 31 May 2018.
Final Reports: Final reports must be submitted by principal applicants to The BSAC using the Report Form at the top of this page. Applicants who have completed any report(s) relating to this grant for their Institute can include this with the completed BSAC report form. All reports should be sent via email to: email@example.com
Reports should include the following information based on your project:
- A summary of the aims and objectives of the project:
- broad findings or conclusions (maximum 2x A4 pages)
- Any publications arising from the project:
- a list of any publications arising from the research carried out
- include details of any articles which have been accepted, or are planned for publication within the next 24 months as a result of this award (please provide any definite or provisional publication dates)
- Any other outputs arising from the project:
- give details of any other way in which the results of the research has been or will be disseminated i.e. oral and / or poster presentations at conferences
- give details if the research has led to any additional funding from alternative funding bodies, or if you plan to seek additional funding in the future as a result of BSAC funding received (please provide details of the funding scheme / organisation etc.)
- give details if any new research tools or methods have been developed, or if you plan to develop any new research tools or methods in the future as a result of BSAC funding received (please provide details of the tool / method with a brief description about this)
- give details if any commercialisation of IP arising is anticipated as a result of BSAC funding received, either now or in the future
- A brief evaluation of the strengths and weakness of the research
- A summary of the actual costs compared to the estimated expenditure in your submitted grant application
- Any remaining funds in hand must either be returned to the Society immediately or if you wish to continue to draw on these funds for a limited period after the end of the award (no cost extension applies), you should write with details of when and how the money will be used.
Reviewer Feedback to Grants Applicants: The BSAC only offers feedback for those applications that are peer-reviewed by external reviewers (Research, Education & PhD Studentship applications), and only if applicants specifically request this.
Correspondence: All correspondence, including submission of the final reports, should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org