Overseas Scholarships are to enable workers from other countries the opportunity to work in UK Departments for up to six months. These Scholarships are open to applicants on a worldwide basis.
BSAC invites applications for Overseas Scholarships on worldwide basis.
Successful candidates will be paid a grant of £1,250 per calendar month for a maximum of 6 months.
The host institution will receive a consumables grant of £600 per calendar month for the duration of the scholarship.
The Society will reimburse the cost of return air fares and travel via the most economical route. Candidates will be asked to seek approval of travel costs in advance of any application.
Payment will be made direct to the host institution who will administer the grant on behalf of the overseas scholar. Payment is made upon receipt of an official invoice from the Secretary/Finance Officer of the Institution where the applicant is based.
Overseas Scholarships are open to scholars living outside the United Kingdom and are subject to the usual Terms and Conditions for the BSAC Grants Programme.
The applicant must provide a statement describing how the visit to the UK, and the training, will benefit the scholar and their institution on their return.
Individuals already living, working or researching in the UK are not eligible to apply. Individuals who have already received any training outside of their own country are also not eligible to apply. Candidates are required to identify the UK sponsor/host institute as BSAC does not, and cannot, advise on UK sponsors or institutes as hosts for these scholarships.
Successful applicants are required to submit a 500 word written report to the Secretary of the Grants Committee on completion of their project, and to forward details of any publications arising from the work undertaken. Reports should be submitted to the BSAC Grants Secretary by email at: email@example.com
How to apply:
Applicants must complete the application form on this page. The applicant and host institute is required to read the terms and conditions before completing the application form. Submission is as follows:
- An application must be submitted as a single document.
- Applicants must submit a signed copy of the BSAC Terms and Conditions form.
- Both documents must be submitted via the BSAC online submission system.
The following information must be included as part of the application:
- Description of the project (maximum 2x A4 pages), including:
- Title to project
- Introductory background
- Hypotheses to be tested
- Plan of investigation
- Clear outline of the training the scholar will receive
- A statement describing how the visit to the UK, and the training, will benefit the scholar and their institution on their return (maximum 1x A4 page).
- Abridged CVs for: 1) The Overseas Scholar and 2) The UK Sponsor. Each CV should be no more than 2x A4 pages, and include the last five publications by the sponsor.
Application Deadline: 28 February 2017, at 23:59 GMT
Award date: By the 31 May 2017
Final reports must be submitted usinge the Report Form at the top of this page. If you have completed any report relating to this grant to your Institute, this can be included along with the completed report form. All reports should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reports should include the following information based on your project:
- A summary of the aims and objectives of the project
- broad findings or conclusions (maximum 2x A4 pages)
- Any publications arising from the project
- a list of any publications arising from the research carried out
- include details of any articles which have been accepted, or are planned for publication within the next 24 months as a result of this award (please provide any definite or provisional publication dates)
- Any other outputs arising from the project
- give details of any other way in which the results of the research has been or will be disseminated i.e. oral and / or poster presentations at conferences
All correspondence, including submission of final reports, should be sent to the BSAC Grants Secretary at: email@example.com