About Education Grants: The BSAC invites applications for Education grants on an international/worldwide basis.
The maximum value for these grants is £50,000 for projects of up to one-year in duration. Applications must include an assessment of the likely impact of the project that is proposed.
The Education Fund is designated for research projects and initiatives of benefit to the field of antimicrobial chemotherapy as follows:
- Innovative developments aimed at improving any aspect of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in the UK (including development of novel teaching programmes, web-based educational tools, etc).
- The development/delivery of initiatives that promote awareness and increase public understanding about antibiotics and antibiotic usage (including pilot initiatives).
- Development and assessment of educational interventions that aim to
- Reduce inappropriate / increase appropriate prescribing of antimicrobial agents
- Create, stimulate, improve multidisciplinary learning opportunities for those responsible for management and use of antimicrobial agents
- Improve understanding and attitudes among health professionals and/or public toward antibiotic usage
Application Process: Applications received in this category are subject to a four-step review process as follows: 1) an initial triage process, 2) an external peer review process, 3) a final triage process; and 4) final review by the BSAC Grants Committee*. The initial triage (step 1) is to assess the eligibility of all applicants & research topics, applications not successful at this stage will be rejected and applicants notified directly. The final triage process (step 3) is to assess external peer review scores, applications not successful at this stage will be rejected and applicants notified directly.
*The final review process (step 4) takes place at a BSAC Grants Committee meeting in May each year. Applicants are notified of a final decision by the 31 May each year. The number of research grants awarded each year is dependent on the overall level of funding available in each year.
Making An Application For A BSAC Education Grant: Applicants must complete the application form on this page. The application form must not be altered in any way.
Applications must be a maximum 5x A4 pages outlining the investigation & including up to 15 references (but excluding the application form itself, the abridged CVs for all principal investigators, and the signed copy of the BSAC Terms and Conditions form).
Applications must be submitted as follows:.
- The completed application form (found at the top of this page), including additional information provided in the exact order below**:
- Hypotheses to be investigated i.e. learning or quality outcome
- Aims of proposed research project
- Plan of investigation
- GANNT chart / timetable for proposed research
- Justification for applying to the BSAC
- Costs, with justification for costs
- References (no more than 15 in total)
- Abridged CVs for all applicants named on the application form (maximum 2x A4 pages per investigator, including a clear statement of track record in this area and details of the most recent 10 publications)
- A signed copy of the BSAC Terms and Conditions form (before making an application applicants are advised to read all Terms and Conditions and Standard Operating Procedures found at: BSAC T&Cs/SOPS)
- Documents must be submitted via the BSAC grants online submission system:
- The BSAC Grants online submission system will produce a single pdf document of all information uploaded – applicants must check this pdf document to ensure all information is clear and in the order requested above**. **Applications not submitted with pages set in the order outlined above will be returned to the applicant for revision. This order is to assist reviewers.
- Applications submitted by email will not be accepted.
All costs, including inflationary increases, should be accounted for at the time of application. Similarly if applying for staff costs all salary increases should be accounted for at the time of application.
Application Deadline. The next application deadline is 29 November 2018, at 23:59 GMT/UK time (applications are invited from July 2018). Award Date: By 31 May 2019.
Declaration / Co-Funding: The BSAC does not currently offer co-funding of grants. When applying for any BSAC grant, all applicants must declare if they have sought, or if they intend to seek, any financial support outside of BSAC for the same grant. The BSAC must be informed of any grants awarded outside of BSAC funding and the application withdrawn immediately.
All grant support received in the last 5 years must be declared for all applicants who are named on the application form, this must include the total amount of funding received for each grant listed and noted in GBP / UK £ currency.
Reviewer Feedback To Grant Applicants: The BSAC only offers feedback for those applications that are peer-reviewed by external reviewers (Research, Education & PhD Studentship applications), and only if applicants specifically request this.
The BSAC Grants Terms & Conditions: The Terms and Conditions for all BSAC Grants are published on the BSAC website at: BSAC T&Cs/SOPS. The applicant and host institute is required to read the terms and conditions before completing any application form. Applicants are required to submit a signed copy of the BSAC Terms and Conditions form, submitting this with their application form.
Written Reports: Final reports must be submitted by principal applicants the BSAC using the report form at the top of this page.
Applicants who have completed any report(s) relating to this grant for their Institute can include this with the completed BSAC report form. All reports should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reports should include the following information based on your project:
- A summary of the aims and objectives of the project:
- broad findings or conclusions (maximum 2x A4 pages)
- Any publications arising from the project:
- a list of any publications arising from the research carried out (as a result of BSAC funds received)
- include details of any articles which have been accepted, or are planned for publication within the next 24 months as a result of BSAC funds received (please provide any definite or provisional publication dates)
- Any other outputs arising from the project:
- give details of any other way in which the results of the research has been or will be disseminated i.e. oral and / or poster presentations at conferences
- give details if the research has led to any additional funding from alternative funding bodies, or if you plan to seek additional funding in the future as a result of BSAC funding received (please provide details of the funding scheme / organisation etc.)
- give details if any new research tools or methods have been developed, or if you plan to develop any new research tools or methods in the future as a result of BSAC funding received (please provide details of the tool / method with a brief description about this)
- give details if any commercialisation of IP arising is anticipated as a result of BSAC funding received, either now or in the future
- A brief evaluation of the strengths and weakness of the research
- A summary of the actual costs compared to the estimated expenditure in your submitted grant application
Any remaining funds in hand must either be returned to the Society immediately or if you wish to continue to draw on these funds for a limited period after the end of the award (no cost extension applies), you should write with details of when and how the money will be used.
Payment / Claiming Funds:
Payment will be made directly to the host institution, who will administer the grant on behalf of the lead applicant. Payment is made upon receipt of an official invoice from the Secretary/Finance Officer of the Institution where the applicant is based. Funds can be claimed in advance or in arrears on a quarterly basis. For any payment enquiries contact Debbie Irwin at: email@example.com.
Correspondence: All correspondence, including submission of the final report, should be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org